Re: lynx-dev : gnu.announce: Encryption software volunteers needed in co

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev : gnu.announce: Encryption software volunteers needed in countries without export control
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:15:45 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> An update on encryption restrictions...

[...]
> List of countries signing the Wassenaar agreement:
>
> Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Czech Republic,
> Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy,
> Japan, Republic of Korea, Luxembourg, Netherland, New Zealand, Norway,
> Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland,
> Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom and United States.

It should be noted that the GNUPG page states (with quotes from the Wassenaar
Agreement) that 'public domain' software (and copyrights on the software
specifically do NOT exclude it from being 'public domain', so I assume GPL,
PAL, etc are safe) is excluded.  The pages at www.replay.com (Finland?) say
the same.

I think this is a precautionary move by RMS, and a good move, but I don't
think we're desperate *yet*.

--
GPG & PGP public keys: <URL:http://www.psnw.com/~posterkid/keys/>
PGP fingerprint: 42 57 B3 D2 39 8E 74 C3  5E 4D AC 43 25 D2 26 D4