Re: lynx-dev Lynx returns error 11 when called from cgi

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx returns error 11 when called from cgi
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 07:21:32 -0500 (EST)

> > I was never able to tell if the error code was from
> > the signal table, the errno table, or from lynx itself.
>
> I've never come across a program doing the equivalent of
> exit (errno).  It's also quite rare for them to do anything but
> exit (0) or exit (1).  The signal and user error numbers are
> returned in different bytes to wait.

UNIX diff does this (I remember recently a comment pertaining to the exit-code).
Some other utilities document the exit codes (I don't remember offhand).

VMS uses a wide variety of exit codes (with the opposite sense of 1/0).
Of course MS-DOS does this (it's part of the documentation).

But the usual (portable) practice is 0 (EXIT_SUCCESS) and 1 (EXIT_FAILURE).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden