lynx-dev Anyone thought about a lynx keyboard macro facility?

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: lynx-dev Anyone thought about a lynx keyboard macro facility?
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 14:37:23 -0500 (EST)

One of the things that I could really use is the ability to set up a
stream of keyboard actions that I would like lynx to 'play back' and
take action upon for automated action purposes.

For instance, most of the free mail or web page sites with html interfaces
have no way to automate actions such as forwarding or downloading or
uploading files.

Has anyone else found that a facility like this would be of use?
Does anyone have ideas on how best to approach such a thing?  The
interface I can see is a 'start recording' action, then stepping thru
the steps that you would like to play back, then a 'stop recording' action,
then a 'save recording' action, which saves the actions in a clean ascii
format.  Then to have the ability to start lynx up at the command line
with a series of one or more of these recorded action files would be
provided.

The reason to support multiple recording files would allow one to have
a single 'login' file, a 'move to a section' file, and then a 'forward a
message' or 'download a file' or 'perform a search' .

Ideally, the recordings would be perhaps in the form of a language.
If I were to design such a feature, I might choose a language like perl or
expect on which to base such a facility, since these languages are frequently
used for similar capabilities anyways.
--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>