Re: lynx-dev -dump stdin as startfile?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -dump stdin as startfile?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 00:48:48 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Joe Futrelle wrote:

> Hi, I'm wondering if lynx can -dump using stdin as its startfile.

It can, at least under Unix (and maybe other environments), if the OS
provides a way to treat standard input as a file.   The following
works for me on linux 2.0.x, with Lynx 2.8.1rel.2:

  echo 'This is a <B>bold</B> word.<P>A new para.' |
           lynx -dump -force_html -underscore /dev/stdin

The -force_html is to force recognition as HTML (the filename "stdin"
doesn't end in .html), and the -underscore to see some effect from the B
element.

Here /dev/stdin is a symbolic link to /dev/fd/0 which in turn points to
/proc/self/fd/0, but that would be system specific.

If that doesn't work, the following may, if your shell understands and
implements the <( ) construct:

   lynx -dump -force_html -underscore <(echo 'This is a <B>bold</B> word.<P>A
new para.')

> (pls respond by email)

How else could we respond anyway?

     Klaus