lynx-dev LYNX: need for "lynxEscapeChar + lynxCmdKey" on stupid pages.

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: need for "lynxEscapeChar + lynxCmdKey" on stupid pages.
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 18:09:37 -0800 (PST)

I don't know the proper html-terminology -- I hope I make it clear
what I am talking about.

You connect to some page.  The first thing on the page, ie the first
place your curser can be, and where it is, is some text-fill-in area --
you are supposed to type in eg your address or something.

(at bottom of screen is lynx msg saying to hit down or up arrow key
to move off the thing).

But, the next thing down is another one of those entry-places.

And the next one, and the next one, and maybe 20 or 30 more,
before you get to a NON-textEntry place, eg "submit"
or "go" or something, where FINALLY you can DO something,
eg go to next page, go back to prior page, etc.

Would be nice if, like unix "mail", trn, etc, there is a
program (eg lynx) dependent "escape" key (redefinable by the
user), that eg lynx is always watching for as the FIRST
char on a line, ...

And when lynx sees THAT, then the next thing you type
in goes ONLY to lynx (not to the html app), and is executed
by LYNX as a LYNX command.

Would help a lot on these fool pages, where I have to hit
down-arrow (actually, I use <tab>, control-I) SO MANY DAMN TIMES
it is a real pain, and then I link to the next interesting
looking page (from THAT page), and you guessed it --
ANOTHER page with 30 of those fill-in links -- and all I want
to do is get by them, to see what is on "page 2, 3, 4...".

LYNXESCAPE-space would at least allow a FAST way to scroll
down the screen on such pages.

-----

ANYONE ELSE THINK THIS IS A GOOD IDEA?  (or do you have some
other scheme to accomplish this with lynx-as-is?)

THANKS!

David