Re: lynx-dev HP-UX sed Problem Solution

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev HP-UX sed Problem Solution
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 13:02:52 -0500 (EST)

> In a recent note, address@hidden said:
>
> > Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:02:47 -0500 (EST)
> >
> > I did look at it - but it uses functions, which puts it outside the porting
> > limits.  (Maybe if restructured, but I haven't done that).
> >
> I can fix this.  Which approach do you like?  Alternatives that come
> to mind, in order of decreasing attractiveness:
>
> 1) Replicate the function code in the merely two places it's called.
I didn't really want to - since it's a lot of text to keep in sync.

> 2) Make the function a separate script.

ok (it's only called at one point, so repeating it won't be costly).

> 3) Assign the body of the function to a variable and play hackish "eval"
> games.
ugh.

> What brain-dead shell doesn't support functions, anyway?

the older ones (of course) which we support in the configure scripts just
to keep people happy.  configure script has to be vanilla/generic.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden