Re: lynx-dev Java Support

From: Heather Stern
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Java Support
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 16:55:19 -0800 (PST)

I ate the fortune cookie first, then read what Philip Webb wrote:
> 981223 John Hartunian wrote:
> > To whom it may concern,
>
> that obviously includes yourself (smile).
>
> > Is there a possibilty lynx will support java script, java applets etc?
>
> if someone volunteers to write the necessary code & submits patches:
> JS has been discussed more than once, but no-one has done anything yet.
> if you have the necessary skills, do offer something:
> that's exactly how Lynx has got as far as it has.

One of the Mozilla.Org core guys tells me that javascript has been broken
off into a reasonable library, so they could get a handle on it.  Your
mileage may vary on the term "reasonable" -- CVS makes my head spin.

The next odd spot is Lynx is GPL, but the Javascript code is either under
NPL or MozPL (I forget which).  So, the Brave Soul(s) would have to:

        1. Decide which JS features can survive or are worthy of
           implementation in text mode.
        2. Code an interface around the JS libary
           a. possibly improving their call sequence (addons to their
              library have to meet their license, so don't corrupt them
              with GPL'd code)
           b. add the necessary calls/hooks to lynx (stays under lynx' lic.)
              to match neatly.
        3. Code lynx facilities to perform the selected features
           a. the features themselves
           b. work on the (another?) parser, to actually read JS code.

If the interface (2b) and features in (3a) are generic enough we might be able
to use the same calls for TCLets and python scripts too.

Please don't anyone take this as a denigration or a suggestion that we
shouldn't do this.  I think it should.  But, I'm not sure what should
quite go into (1).

My own three cents:
        1. Add a statusline just for JS work
           This should allow for reasonable support of "mouseover" which
           is very popular, and scrolling marquees without eating Lynx'
           own status messages.
                I don't think 1 screenline is too high a cost for this.
           Any comments?
        2. "Popups" such as offered by Geocities should offer a link, if
           they lead to HTML pages.  I guess [JS-POPUP] if a name can't be
           found for them.  (Actually, I hate the Geocities ones, but it
           is also considered a rather normal feature)  I don't really
           know how many of these kind of popups lead to pages, or are
           raw JS code and should be rendered inline.  Maybe a result like:

[JS:}bla bla rendered [ISMAP] more ad talk bla bla[:JS]

        ...rather like we handle STRIKE presently.

        3. Consider highly supporting those features which are used
           in online stores to validate their wares.  Some shop forms
           these days are crippled and won't work without JS, because
           their action values aren't written correctly, and the JS is.
                (Yes, I know, they're bad programmers.  I complain.
                Sometimes they fix them, but they almost always whine
                about how I should join the modern world or somesuch.)

Oh, and merry Xmas, everybody!  I hope your weather is bearable and your
friends and all make it home safe.

Heather Stern  . | .  starshine.org * Starshine Technical Services
  star at:   --->*<---    lasfs.org * Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society
               ' | `                  Filking Committee, 26
  Never tell people how to do things.  Tell them WHAT to do and they will
  surprise you with their ingenuity.  -- Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.