lynx-dev SWITCH_DTD help text (was: New items for Options menu)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev SWITCH_DTD help text (was: New items for Options menu)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 17:58:36 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> * Forms-based options menu: add new logical section - Document Layout,
>   currently with "HTML error tolerance" (TagSoup/SortaSGML),
>   "Pop-up for select fields", "Show images" (no_alt/labels/links)
>   and "Verbose images". New switches added for information purposes mostly,
>   they diplicate hot keys but not so hidden from user's view.
>   Documentation updated also. (Oh yes, "Line edit style" option now available
>   when we have a real choise >1). - LP
>

> Note for Klaus:
> please check option_help.html for TagSoup/SortaSGML (near the bottom below),
> this features seems to be undocumented at the moment and nobody on lynx-dev
> could give a reasonable advice except you :-)

Ok, I will look at it in more detail later.  One preliminary remark:
I don't like calling this "HTML error tolerance".  "tagsoup" is not always
more tolerant or recovering better than SortaSGML, although that may be
the case in a majority of cases.  Here is one example where both fail to
recover well, in different ways, but the SortaSGML result is much better:
name / caption for this.

   Klaus