Re: lynx-dev SWITCH_DTD help text

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev SWITCH_DTD help text
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 01:28:05 -0500 (EST)

981228 Klaus Weide wrote:
> I don't like calling this "HTML error tolerance".
> "tagsoup" is not always more tolerant or recovering better than SortaSGML,
> although that may be the case in a majority of cases.
> Here is one example where both fail to recover well, in different ways,
> but the SortaSGML result is much better:

the problem seems to be the use of  <H4>  in the HTML,
which isn't recognised by Tagsoup for some reason;
the Tagsoup version is certainly readable, if less neat.

shouldn't we be moving towards a Pedantic/Degenerate distinction
-- ie what the specs say a/a doing the best to make it readable --
in handling questionable HTML?  that corresponds to lynx-dev view-points.
i'm a notorious Degenerate, of course ...