lynx-dev Breaking lynx up into libraries

From: Eric
Subject: lynx-dev Breaking lynx up into libraries
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 17:05:51 -0500

Would it be conceivably possible to break many parts of Lynx up (like
WWW/Library, maybe some other parts) and link them together with a good,
portable stub function (or set of functions) such that systems that support
shared libraries can have everything broken up into .so files, Win32 systems
could have stuff broken up into .dll's, and systems without shared libraries
would compile the "stub" functions just as a wrapper into the statically-linked
libraries?

This might open up possibilities for, say, a different HTML engine,
provide some competition to make a less bloated HTML engine, one
that supports different features, etc?

Seeing as shared libraries and "modularity" are becoming popular, possibly
the future of computer software, it just comes to me that breaking Lynx up
into smaller parts might yield some dramatic speed and size improvements,
provided people are willing enough to improve the code.  It's much easier
to work with small pieces than to jump inside one big mammoth and fix
something.

--
"Maybe we should send over Tux with a baseball bat for a good
talk... (ala www.kmfms.com.)" -Alan Olsen