Re: lynx-dev Anchor reference for 'quit'

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Anchor reference for 'quit'
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:52:19 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 address@hidden wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using Lynx version 2.6 for Unix SVR 4.2 release 1.
> I am developing a web based application which is going to be viewed through
> Lynx Browser only.
> I want to QUIT lynx after clicking an anchor reference in HTMl file.
> I don't want to use normal shortcut key q/Q.
> What sholud I use in anchor reference to quit the browser.
>
> Pl. guide me for the same.

You cannot cleanly remote-control Lynx in this way.  Lynx just doesn't
provide mechanisms for remote servers to control the browser like that.
And certainly not without the user's consent - and advantage, in my
opinion.

Well, I said "cleanly" - one way to achieve more or less what you want
would be to find a URL that crashes Lynx...

But if you really want this capability, _AND_ have control over the
configuration of the clients, there are ways to achieve it:

 - Change the source, adding support for a "LYNXQUIT:" protocol
   (or similar).
or
 - Use one of the several ways in which Lynx can be made to execute
   "scripts" / external programs autoatically:
   * lynxexec:
   * lynxprog:
   * lynxcgi:
   * a VIEWER for soem special MIME type.
   Write a script that simply kills the parent process with the right
   signal.  That should work for Lynx in Unix-like environments, for
   other platforms there may or may not be something similar.
   Yes, this is a bit ugly.  So maybe you would prefer the first
   alternative.

 Klaus