Re: lynx-dev How to address & issue?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How to address & issue?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:09:21 +0000 (GMT)

> Everything is running fine except one issue.
>   Unix command line treats & as a special command instead of http URL

Most shells allow you to protect meta characters, like &, by quoting them
(" or ' should work for &) or escaping them with \.

> parameters. Sometimes, i got url with a lot of
>   &. lynx does not work with &(s) in url. Some people told me to replace

There is something wrong if you have to manually enter this sort of URL, as
they are generally associated with form submissions, and should normally
only be accessed through the corresponding forms.  It is not uncommon for
such URLs to either contain a session ID or be dependent on a cookie, and
only to work for a few tens of minutes.

> & with %26. I tried that workaround, it does not work

If they are forms, %26 will destroy the special meaning of & as a field
delimiter and thus break the URL.