Re: lynx-dev Re: Current rendering state info

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Current rendering state info
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 14:48:33 +0300 (MSK)

> | All these toggles currently available from form-based options menu
> | (with my patch) except SOFT_DQUOTES/HISTORICAL/MINIMAL
> | which are not essential (IMO), and SOURCE info shown in status line.

> Heh.  I looked at your patch after having posted about wanting a rendering
> state summary ...

> After applying it, I have a couple suggestions:

>  1. There are now two kinds of items in the options menu ... those that get
>     saved to your .lynxrc file, and those that don't (eg, TagSoup/SortaSGML).
>     There ought to be something that distinguishes the two classes of items.

>     (Note: I'm glad you are NOT saving these to the .lynxrc file, as it
>     would be all-too-easy to inadvertantly change the default behavior, just
>     by using a transient alternate rendering method).

I have a feeling that settings under the "Personal preferences" section
should be saved in .lynxrc while the others (or most of them) not.
Also, IMO .lynxrc should not be edited manually too much,
and settings that require so (cookie domains currently) should be moved
7to personal add-on for lynx.cfg, though it is discussible.

>  2. It would be very nice if you showed the toggling cmd keystroke next to
>     the line items, as I think in terms of ^V on/off ... not in terms of
>     "HTML error tolerance strict/relaxed", etc.  Perhaps putting the above
>     labels (IMAGE_TOGGLE, RAW_TOGGLE, etc) in parens would be enough to
>     establish the correspondence between the keyboard command, and the line
>     item.

Yes, this is a problem. We have several names for each option:
IMAGE_TOGGLE (interanal name), '*' (keystroke), (nothing in .lynxrc),
MAKE_LINK_FOR_ALL_IMAGES (lynx.cfg), -image_links (command line),
this is a mess. Such unification was discussed before (I remember
a letter by Bela Lubkin) but nothing done yet.
As for 'o'ptions menu, I think it should be readable and friendly
while its HELP (link near the top) became very accurate and useful.
Any suggestions welcome.

>  3. The other three rendering toggles, while certainly not essential, would
>     still be nice to know the current state of ... if not as something that
>     can be changed in the option menu, at least an indicator of their current
>     state.

Probably yes. This is the question of options menu size,
it should not became so long as lynx.cfg, so we need some ideas.