Re: lynx-dev undefined __inet_addr making newest dev release

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev undefined __inet_addr making newest dev release
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 17:10:53 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 address@hidden wrote:
>what type of system? the network libraries aren't straightforward to
>configure; you may have a flavor we've not met yet - but if not - if
>it's one of the known flavors - possibly your configure failed like
>the 'ar' because the path was not setup properly.
>
>if that's the case, do a 'make distclean; ./configure' and start over

Hmm, I tried this, same problem.

Here's the link line and the error line:
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -I. -I.. -Ichrtrans
 -I./chrtrans -I.. -I../intl -I../src -I../WWW/Library/Implementation  -O2   -o
lynx  LYClean.o LYShowInfo.o LYEdit.o LYStrings.o LYMail.o HTAlert.o GridText.o
LYGetFile.o LYMain.o LYMainLoop.o LYCurses.o LYBookmark.o LYUtils.o LYOptions.o
LYReadCFG.o LYSearch.o LYHistory.o LYForms.o LYPrint.o LYrcFile.o LYDownload.o L
YNews.o LYKeymap.o HTML.o HTFWriter.o HTInit.o DefaultStyle.o LYLocal.o LYUpload
.o LYLeaks.o LYexit.o LYJump.o LYList.o LYCgi.o LYTraversal.o LYEditmap.o LYChar
Sets.o LYCharUtils.o LYMap.o LYCookie.o LYExtern.o LYStyle.o LYHash.o UCdomap.o
UCAux.o UCAuto.o  ../WWW/Library/unix/libwww.a  -lcurses  -lnsl -lsocket
__inet_addr                         ../WWW/Library/unix/libwww.a(HTTCP.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to lynx
make[1]: *** [lynx] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mattack/lynx2-8-2/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

To be honest, I don't really know what kind of answer to give to 'what kind
of system are you on'.

uname -a  gives:
SunOS vax 5.6 sun4u sparc

To my mostly-end-user sentiment, it's "just UNIX", but obviously that isn't
a good answer.