Re: lynx-dev mime types?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev mime types?
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 00:12:55 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Ismael Cordeiro wrote:
> >You can do it by pressing "d" on the link.
>
> Ok, but the problem when I do that is that Lynx says
> text/plain

That's what the server says.  Lynx is just reporting it to you.

Unless you are talking about ftp URLs, which is a different story,
but I'l lassume you mean http URLs.

> and I'm trying to download binary data..  Thus isn't this corrupting my data?

It shouldn't. Certainly not on Unix, VMS may be a different story.
Try it.

If you get corrupt data, it has most likely been sent corrupted.

(The only case where lynx might mess with 'd'ownloaded data saved to a
file is text/html, when it prepends a BASE tag and some other stuff.)

> BTW, all I was trying to do was follow the same steps given to modify
> browsers for downloading Apple II files..  basically IE and Netscape-intended
> directions.

If those directions are based on IE, they are probably wrong, because IE
is wrong.

> Someone else mentioned that mimetypes were a *server* thing..  Ok, my
> impression that this was basically the same as setting up application mappings
> in GUI browsers.. which is definitely an end user thing.

Solve the problem at the source, which is the server.

   Klaus