Re: lynx-dev chartrans: ALT= tag without quotes "..." problem

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev chartrans: ALT= tag without quotes "..." problem
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 05:48:15 +0300 (MSK)

> On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> :)990105 Leonid Pauzner wrote:
:)>> I found out a problem with anchore attribute happen without quotes,
:)>> namely with ALT= (but also possible with NAME= or HREF=).
:)>> By some misterious reason first letter was converted to capital "I",
:)>> probably the first letter was not restored from checking for existance
:)>> of opening quote on some earlier parsing stage.
:)>>  http://www.detki-predki.aha.ru
:)>> near the top you got "Iarinka", should be "Marinka" - check '\' for source.
:)>> (the text is in russian but that doesn't matter)
> :)
> :)i get your I/M effect with 2-8-1pre.2 ,
> :)but what's puzzling me is that the source contains much opaque lettering,
> :)whereas the rendered version is in nice legible latinised Russian,

This is very strange what you say: _both_ rendered version and source
should be latinized or both not.

> :)something about children & ancestors & beneficial deportations:
> :)what am i doing right ... ?
> :)
> I got the I/M effect also with Lynx Version 2.8.1rel.2. I downloaded the
                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^??
> file and saw a bunch of strange characters that I could not understand.
^^^^^^
you should not! HTTP headers were lost. See it on-line and try "\"

> The only time that I got the same output (no I/M effect or other change),
> was when I switched in the options menu to

>  Character Set Options
>   Assumed document character set   : [iso-8859-1______]
>   Display character set            : [Cyrillic (windows-1251)________
        do you have EXP_CHARTRANS_AUTOSWITCH ?  --^^^^^^^^^
        Try iso-8859-1 or what ever you have as your font.
>   Raw 8-bit                        : [OFF] <-- ON or OFF is the same
This is because HTTP server sent charset parameter explicitely via its header,
there is no need for assumption.

(or, alternatively, I guess you download the file,
see it localhost and have display font at 8859-1
which is the same as "assumed document charset"
so you see no difference for "Raw 8-bit" switching (obviously) -
- THIS IS COMPLETELY WRONG WAY OF TESTING)