lynx-dev ftp.gnu.org redisorganization

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: lynx-dev ftp.gnu.org redisorganization
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 23:26:06 -0500 (EST)

I have redisorganized ftp.gnu.org so that there is now a directory for
every package (although at the moment, the emacs lisp manual, the
emacs lisp intro, leim, and elib all exist in the emacs directory; we
may rearange that).  For example, there exists a directory at
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs which contains various versions of emacs.

Someone had suggested that we should also make
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs.tar.gz a symlink to the .tar.gz of
the current version.  We rejected this possibility; if we do this,
people will end up with .tar.gz files on their local disks that lack
the version number.

If people notice problems with how the redisorganization was done,
please let me know.

We are now willing to make links to these directories from webpages
under http://www.gnu.org/software; so please feel free to update your
web pages (or create web pages for your packages, if you haven't
already!).  If we haven't given you more specific instruction on what
to do to submit new or changed webpages, please mail them to
address@hidden