Re: lynx-dev setting Lynx up to run off a network instead of a modem

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev setting Lynx up to run off a network instead of a modem
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 08:36:58 +0000 (GMT)

>                                                              I was wondering
> if there is a way to set Lynx up to run off the network that we have here
> instead of looking for a modem.  We have a proxy server behind a firewall
> but I would think it would work just as well as our graphical browsers.  If

Running off a network is easy compared with running off a modem in all
cases except running the DOS version under Windows 3.1 or 3.11.  The
Win32 and Unix versions will run over a network out of the box if the
machine supports other TCP applications.  I therefore assume you are
using the DOS version and are not running Win '95, '98 or NT.

For reliable operation, the DOS version needs a network card that is not
being used by Windows, and that card will need its own IP address.  It
is sometimes possible to use a tool called pktmux, but that contains
warnings about not being 100% reliable because it is basically a hack to
do something that the protocols were not designed to do.

To simply run the DOS version, you need the packet driver for the network
card you intend to use for Lynx, which should not be the same as used for
any other TCP stack.  This replaces the SLIP or PPP packet driver and the
modem dialling mechanism you are currently using.

You will need to specify the proxy in lynx.cfg.