Re: lynx-dev local directory listing - TOO SLOW

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev local directory listing - TOO SLOW
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:59:28 +0300 (MSK)

>> Lynx's rendering of local directory listing apperently too slow,
>> directory for 150 entries fetched the same time as ~200K long text
>> (this is especially strange with my slow DOS mashine - there is
>> no permissions to look so it is a single small file).

> It does a 'stat()' call for each file - which is a little slow (but
> ls -l would do the same).  I don't have a slow machine to test it on
> (even my old machine is 60Mhz - but I'll do some testing on that to
> compare).

>> Why not to do "ls -l" or "dir" or so
>> and than translate the output to internal HTML format?
> I don't think it would be faster in terms of the underlying system calls.
> But it should be possible to test/compare by using the code that interprets
> directory listings from remote servers.

I made a test with our Linux machine at the /home directory of ~500 entries:
lynx render this directory - 12 sec
ls -l > tmpdir  - 3 sec

so there is a significant slow down with lynx
(the CPU rather fast - lynx_users_guide.html of 150Kb renders << 1 sec).
Probably "ls -l"/"ls -all" would be a good default for any autoconf'ed
platform (I have no idea on VMS).

and here on DOS I have even a greater difference.