Re: lynx-dev Re: [-dev.12] experimental text entry fields patch (updated

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: [-dev.12] experimental text entry fields patch (updated)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 20:11:34 -0500 (EST)

990109 Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> unless the system has some sort of cron'd cleanup for the temp area,
> trash backup files will accumulate to large numbers over time,
> chewing up "inodes", disk space and generally making the directory
> hard to deal with (esp if it is a "common" directory, such as /tmp).

since starting to use Screen, which required it,
i have been using my own  /tmp  directory for Lynx & Elm too.
AFAIK  files~  are deleted by the system after a week or so,
even in my own directories on this shared IRIX 5.3 system.
currently, there are  11  .html  files,
incl  105 K  for Visited Links (current Lynx under Screen)
& some survivors from earlier Lynx sessions which crashed;
there are  2  .txt  files from  mailto:  URLs (presumably);
& a couple of  snd  files probably connected with Elm.

so you can assume a common  /tmp  will be cleansed regularly,
while a personal  /tmp  won't accumulate very much for most users,
who should be alerted when they define their own  /tmp  ( lynx.cfg ?).

> Besides, leaving such trash lying about is poor programming, IMHO.

only if it's easy to eliminate; otherwise, users should be responsible.

> The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward having
> an "editor backup extension" line in  .lynxrc .

i'ld vote against: it's not important enough for enough users.

however generally, keep up the good work:
what you're doing has been long proposed, but never tackled before.