Re: lynx-dev Mouse?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Mouse?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:10:58 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Fri Jan  8 19:36:17 1999
> From: Philip Webb <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev Mouse?
>
> 990108 Michael Warner wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 08, 1999, Philip Webb <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> as for navigating with the Tab key, i've never heard of it!
> > From the Current Key Map page:
> > <tab>       NEXT_LINK     make the next link current
>
> well, i suppose one reason i subscribe is to learn things ...
> but it does raise the question why that keybinding is still there,
> given the Arrows, numbered links & VI-key choices:
> is it yet another ancient device from the creation of the World,
> never before questioned by anyone, or does it still have a purpose?
> we are sometimes short of keys to bind to new features, after all.

TAB enables you to jump out of a fill-in-text field.

RE "given the Arrows, ...", you have to reach way over to
the right to them, moving your right hand OFF its "home position".

I assume that most of us mouse-haters ALSO hate reaching way up
to the F-keys (have to divert eyes down, hard to do via just
"touch typing"), or way over to the right to the arrow and
page-up/down keys, and (worse yet even) to the number-pad keys (which
I have NEVER yet used, now in my 12th year on a keyboard (sun) that
has such things).

God help me when Mr. Gates forces me to buy an NT machine and
keyboard, with the control key in the WRONG place (no quotes around
wrong here!).

As far as I am concerned, ANY keybinding is OK as long I can
reach the key from those "home" positions they teach you to
keep your fingers in.

IMHO, that is.

David