lynx-dev Re: [-dev.12] experimental text entry fields patch (updated)

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: [-dev.12] experimental text entry fields patch (updated)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:30:45 -0800

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999, Mike Castle (address@hidden) said:

| How many other programs that spawn text files try to clean up left over
| backup files?   Does trn?  Does cvs?  Does elm?  (Probably the 3
| application I use most often next to lynx).  I've never noticed problems
| with backup files.  Then again, I use vi.

I wouldn't know about elm or cvs, but trn certainly does (or more
accurately, the Pnews and Rnmail scripts).

| Given that, for at least the version installed on my system, emacs.info
| says:
|
| Emacs does not normally make backup files for files in `/tmp'.

True.  But /tmp is not always what is used.  Yes, I know how to add hooks
for other locations, etc. in *my* .emacs file.  But I am interested in
a general solution.

| I think trying to deal with backup is too dangerous to even consider.  The
| idea of "do no harm" should be paramount here.  Automatically deleting a
| file we did not create ourselves is just too risky.

We did create it.  It's the version of the temp file we created when we
wrote the textarea data out to disk, so it could be edited.

There is no risk in deleting it.

/kim