lynx-dev Re: Lynx problems

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Lynx problems
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 19:39:43 -0800

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999, Bela Lubkin (address@hidden) said:

| I've been thinking about a related idea: a rolling buffer of status
| messages.  Lynx would store in memory the last N status messages, N
| being user-tunable.  There would be a special URL you could visit to see
| those messages (e.g. lynxstatusline:); that might also be hooked into
| e.g. the main help page.  It could also become a new key binding, but I
| would recommend *not* making it one of the default bindings -- we have
| so few keys left, this doesn't seem worth using one up.
|
| With the rolling buffer, users could choose to reduce all of the timers
| to 1 second, and check the buffer if they missed anything.

Very good idea.

I often notice out of the corner of my eye the instant that a message
flicks off (having missed seeing it appear), and then spend time trying
to recreate/figure-out just what the heck it was.  Such a buffer would
be quite useful, IMO.

WRT the lack of available key-bindings ... has anyone given any serious
thought to allowing lynx to utilize two character commands, where the
1st key (user definable, ESC, whatever) would act as a "meta" key?

That would alleviate the keyspace problem, and would allow commands like:

 ESC-a  = command foo
 ESC-b  = command bar
 ESC-^Z = command baz

etc (where ESC represents the user-defined meta-key, whatever it may be).

/kim