Re: lynx-dev Handling of untranslatable charset

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Handling of untranslatable charset
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:28:40 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 16-Jan-99 02:25 Klaus Weide wrote:
> > Handling of untranslatable charsets was wrong.  I first noticed
> > when a page with charset=ISO-2022-JP produced an alert message
> > with a truncated "iso-2022-j".  Looking more closely, the code
> > could also result in memory corruption in some cases.
>
> Yes, it was a corruption from rudiment of "Other ISO Latin" (my fault),
> but seems iso-2022-jp should be translated to euc-jp by UCGetLYhndl_byMIME():
> why it wasn't done before?

The *original string* form of the given charset was kept (in most cases),
so that it could be e.g. shown to the user in an alert and/or the INFO
page.  In the case of oso-2022-jp, this is certainly more correct than
saying that the charset was euc-jp, although internally they are treated
the same.

> It should be converted to canonical name,
> otherwise Set_HTCJK() will fail.

Well, maybe Set_HTCJK() shouldn't fail then...

> Or we should replace lines like  !strcmp(name, "euc-cn")
> with  UCGetLYhndl_by_MIME(name) == UCGetLYhndl_byMIME("euc-cn")
> in Set_HTCJK()?  But the problem may probably persists elsewhere.

Maybe, or resurrect the earlier form of the code which had the
various additional names hardwired in... (which you probably won't
like.)

   Klaus