Re: lynx-dev Mixed bag of patches for 2.8.1dev.13

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Mixed bag of patches for 2.8.1dev.13
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:18:46 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 14-Jan-99 18:11 Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > * Make "Alert" statusline prefix localizable.
> How about "Alert" message in HTAletr() ?

It seems I left the patch left out the most important part, the
actual use of ALERT_FORMAT in HTAlert(), sorry.  Will be in next
patch.  (For now, just make the obvious replacement.)

> > * Changed LYCheckForProxyURL to act more like it appears to
> >   have been indended, and clarify comment.  Minor change in
> >   is_url.
> see DOSPATH code below:
>
> > --- 2408,2428 ----
> >           return(PROXY_URL_TYPE);
> >       }
> >       FREE(cp2);
> > + #if defined (DOSPATH)
> > +     if (cp[1] == ':')
> > +         return(0);          /* could be drive letter? - kw */
> > + #endif
>
> Apparently couldn't, all DOSPATH local files have already stored with
> file://localhost prefix from LYFillLocalURL() [just when they first appears]
> so is_url() should not worry about.

I wish it were so, but wasn't sure, since LYEnsureAbsoluteURL() has
stopped fulfilling its contract.  It now sometimes doesn't ensure
what it's supposed to, because of a change in LYConvertToURL().
Also, LYEnsureAbsoluteURL() used is_url() to decide whether to
call LYConvertToURL() at all.

Maybe this can currently not occur because all calls to
LYEnsureAbsoluteURL() are preceded by calls to LYFillLocalURL(), and
LYFillLocalURL() always handles this case specially for DOS, in which
case the change wouldn't be needed; but the change may still be a good
idea to make sure is_url() does what it's supposed to do, without
relying on a specific sequence of events leading to its invocation.

In any case, in practice this change would probably only change in
some cases which message appears for a non-existing DOS file,
UNSUPPORTED_URL_SCHEME vs. WWW_BAD_ADDR_MESSAGE.

    Klaus