Re: lynx-dev LYNX: more pleas for the L-page addrs

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: more pleas for the L-page addrs
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 21:03:38 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, David Combs wrote:
>FINALLY I UNDERSTAND IT.
>
>Nice feature?
>
>HORRIBLE FEATURE!  IT REMOVES INFORMATION!!!
>
>Horrible, horrible, horrible.
>
>Why not a leading asterisk or something, to mean "been there
>already".

I haven't been following this whole discussion and don't understand
if people are talking about when normally viewing a page, or just at the
visited links page or something.. (of course you've been everywhere you've
visited, so I guess I've answered my question)

I was thinking about something like this too..

Why not do something relatively subtle but noticable, like

[LINK] for unvisited links, and
{LINK} for visited links  or maybe
(LINK) for visited links.

[ ] already encloses both links and checkboxes, so there's no problem with
confusing (LINK) with a radio button..

If this is a major hassle or slows something down, it's no big deal.. because
doing something like this is getting awfully close to "just use a damn
GUI browser" argument.

>Again, best would be to show (1) the "been there" asterisk
>or whatever, then (2) maybe the title, then (3) the ADDRESS;
>or better yet, asterisk, ADDR, then title.

But adding an asterisk then takes up more screen space.  I think something
like I suggested above is better as it doesn't take up any more space.