Re: lynx-dev SUBSCRIBE

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev SUBSCRIBE
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 16:18:38 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, Brajon, L & C wrote:

> Bonjour/
> Hi,
>
> I try to run lynx on RedHat 5.2.
> It works well on local html files but seems unable to look forward any
> http site.
> I do not find any information about this in lynx.cfg file or in the
> manual.

You don't find any information on this in the lynx documentation because
on Unix(-like) operating systems, like Linux, the OS and system libraries
take care of things like DNS servers.

If networking is set up correctly on your computer, Lynx should work;
if it isn't, then other programs (e.g. telnet, ftp) should also fail.
Only if Lynx fails but other programs accessing hosts don't fail can
this be a problem with Lynx.

> I have  a lynx.cfg file under my home directory (I am root) and I have
> added the lines :
>
> LYNX_CFG=~/lynx.cfg
> export LYNX_CFG
>
> in my .bashrc file.
>

> I always connect on the internet via a ppp session on a classic phone
> line.
>
> Is there any NS_SOCK (like netscape) type variable indicating the
> primary DNS of the access provider? in the .bashrc file?

I guess you are having a problem with setting up ppp correctly
(I don't know what NS_SOCK is); a newsgroup or mailing list specific to
Redhat should be a better place to find answers.

Of course, if you really have a problem that just affects Lynx and no
other programs, that would be different.

   Klaus