Re: lynx-dev French accents (was special char's)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev French accents (was special char's)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 22:41:15 -0500 (EST)

990117 Laura Eaves wrote:
> I'm using vi and mail and ProcommPlus.
> I have a DOS PC logged onto a UNIX (BSDI) shell account.
> Lynx is set up with
>       assumed charset iso-8859-1
>       display charset cp437
>       raw 8-bit       OFF

i have  display charset Western (ISO-8859-1)
        raw 8-bit       ON

these should be better, since  cp437  is specifically for a PC,
whereas you're using a UNIX system, & with  7 bits  you'll miss accents.

> This displays mail from my friend correctly.

forgive my (probable) ignorance, but how can you use Lynx to display mail?
i use a quite separate piece of software called  elm .

> However, when I send mail to her the chars don't display right on her PC
> (running win95 using IE, whose settings I don't know).

of course, anything could be wrong at her end.
try sending something containing a few accented letters direct to me
at  address@hidden  & i'll be able to tell you better:
probably a list of letters with labels (eg `e-acute') & how you typed them.

> Also, curiously, the raw 8-bit values in her email messeges to me
> don't match the values she types using alt.
> For example, when she types alt135 (0x87), I get 0xe7.

in ISO-8859-1 , `c-cedil' = e7 (hex) = 347 (oct) = 231 (dec) ,
but in CP437  , `c-cedil' = 87 (hex) = 207 (oct) = 135 (dec) :
so maybe you should try reversing assumed/display charsets
(i have tables of CP's in my printer manual; ISO-8859-1 i copied somewhere).
you do need to spell out carefully which letters you're trying to transmit:
concentrate on  2 - 3  examples, eg `e-acute', `e-grave', `c-cedil'.

> Perhaps the easiest solution would be to use the 7-bit approximations.
> But it would be nice to see the 8-bit symbols.

KW supports me: you should get Kermit.
it may be a pain in the derriere to change over from Procomm,
but once you have it working -- it's easy -- it should help a lot:
it has very powerful character-translation features.