Re: lynx-dev French accents (was special char's)

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev French accents (was special char's)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 23:01:54 -0800

On Sun, Jan 17, 1999, Laura Eaves <address@hidden> wrote:

        [...]

> However, when I send mail to her the chars
> don't display right on her PC (running win95
> using IE, whose settings I don't know).
> Also, curiously, the raw 8-bit values in her
> email messeges to me don't match the values
> she types using alt.  For example, when she
> types alt135 (0x87), I get 0xe7.
>
> Perhaps the easiest solution would be to use the 7-bit approximations.
> But it would be nice to see the 8-bit symbols.
>
> Learn something new every day.
> If anyone has further suggestions, feel free to pass them along.

I'm not sure vi supports 8 bit characters, but I guess if it
didn't, someone would have mentioned it by now.  Any way, my
suggestion is (was) to try out vim, which does have pretty good
digraph support.  Configure it with digraphs enabled, and try

        :help digraphs

See <http://www.vim.org>

As for the strange symbols when you cat'ed the mail to the
screen, would it not have been decoded from Base64 or
whatever?

--
Michael Warner          "You're cute when you're stupid"
<address@hidden>                                -- R.A. Miller