Re: lynx-dev LYNX: more pleas for the L-page addrs

From: Serge MUNHOVEN
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: more pleas for the L-page addrs
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:15:52 +0100

On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 09:08:56AM -0800, David Combs wrote:
 >  > If your "user mode" is "advanced", you can see the URLs on the status
 >  > line of the L-page -- one at a time, by moving the cursor to each link.
 >  > At some point in this discussion I seem to remember your stating that
 >  > this was not true.  It is for me, and I find it sufficient.
 >  >
 >  Well, that sure isn't sufficient for me.  If that's what you are
 >  going to do on the L-page, look at the addresses one at a time
 >  by cursoring to the TITLE of the link (once you have visited that
 >  site, by someone's DWIM (actually DWHM do what HE/HER meant, back then)
 >  code, the address disappears and the title comes up in its place) --
 >  well, why have the L-page at all?
 >
 >  I mean, you can do that quite nicely on the MAIN page -- cursoring
 >  to a TITLE, then looking at the status-line.  If that is enough to
 >  keep you happy, why EVER go to the L-page?
 >
 >  For me at least, the PURPOSE of the L-page is so I can see ALL the
 >  links (and their addresses :-(   ) nicely lined up.  I mean, if
 >  that's not what I want, why in the world would I ever use the L-page.
 >
 >  And why would I (were it me) IMPLEMENT the thing?
 >
 >  > Perhaps an option could be instituted where the L-page would display
 >  > either the titles (as now, substituting URL when title isn't known); or
 >
 >  I don't understand this "when the title isn't known" stuff.  The title
 >  is sitting there looking at me on the MAIN page.  How can it not "be known",
 >  when there it is?
 >
 >  > always the URL.  Then, specially on the L-page, the status line would
 >
 >  Again, this status-line stuff.  If I want to get an address via the
 >  status-line, I'll just do that on the MAIN page!  I can see NO reason
 >  to go to the L-page to do what I perfectly well do on the MAIN page!

To quote you :
... see ALL the links ... nicely lined up.

For me it's links means address or title if available, and all including those
lost due to poor HTML.

You are confusing the stuff surrounded by
<A HREF="http://some.where/a/page.html";> ... <A>
on your current page with the one surrounded by
<TITLE> ... </TITLE>
in page.html
Those are two completely independant contentsies. And you won't get to know the
true title unless you've loaded page.html (i.e. acessed the URL
http://some.where/a/page.html).

 >  Let it be an OPTION how that works; let the USER decide how important
 >  screen-space is!  Options might be:
 >    Work as at least ONE person (the original L-page implementor!)
 >        wanted; once visited, addr disappears and title appears.
 >        I cannot imagine who would really want such a thing; but,
 >        since that implementor went to the work to add it when
 >        he/she gave us the L-page, don't take it from him/her.
 >
 >    Show "you've been there" via asterisk at left margin.
 >
 >    Show ONLY the addr, REGARDLESS of having been there before.
 >
 >    Show ONLY the title (gotten from the MAIN page).
 >
 >    Show BOTH addr AND title (gotten from MAIN page)

Sure. A lot is possible. Just doing it ...
Until now I had not even noticed that the L-page switched between URLs and
titles. I don't use it a lot. Afterall one of your options should not be that
difficult: knowing the title means that you've been there. Keep the URL and
add a * in front and be happy.

Mine has rather been the brute force approach: enlarge your cache.
If I select a link and the page pop's up immediately, I know I've already been
there and get back. Not elegant, I agree and I promise to improve :-)

 - Serge

wondering why discussions become louder and louder.
Yes I know that I can unsubscribe anytime (and resubscribe after fullmoon :-)