lynx-dev putenv

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev putenv
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:49:14 -0600 (CST)

After I repeatedly sent patches that try to

    FREE(lynx_version_putenv_command);

Tom finally added the comment

   /* Note: you must not free the data passed to 'putenv()' until you give it
    * a new value for that variable.
    */

instead, and I see now that there are similar ones about putenv in
LYPrint.c and LYUtils.c.

Ok, now I am curious, on which systems is that a problem?  Does it only
occur with the putenv repacement in LYUtils.c (apparently taken from an
old GNU C Library)?

I tried to produce a problem with this (Linux 2.0.33, GNU libc) and
failed.

    Klaus