lynx-dev Re: putenv

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: putenv
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 01:35:39 -0800

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:

| With linux/glibc, I also get a core dump with Bela's unmodified
| example.  The statement
|          foo[6] = 'z';
| is invalid because it is modifying a constant string.

Ooops ... I should've looked more closely at that, instead of concluding
that the sig-10 was a result of subsequent getenv() call.

With your modified code, I too get:

  bar
  bar

on FreeBSD (2.2.8-STABLE), which is probably why there are no warnings
about alllocation methods, etc, in the FreeBSD man page.

| The linxu manpage I have for putenv(3) also doesn't document any such
| restrictions.  It would be nice if it had a warning that other systems might
| have them, for portability.

Portability ... what's "portability"?

Oh, yeah ... that's what #ifdef's are for ... :-) ...?

/kim