Re: lynx-dev French accents (was special char's)

From: Kari E. Hurtta
Subject: Re: lynx-dev French accents (was special char's)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 21:05:14 +0200 (EET)

Leonid Pauzner:
> 22-Jan-99 13:10 Kari E. Hurtta wrote:
> > Klaus Weide:
> >> On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, Laura Eaves wrote:
>
> > So when you send mail, there will be (I assume)
>
> >       CP437 text on mail and it is labeled
> >       as

> Lynx does exactly as you mean above.
>
> > It is just to be left to recipient to do character
> > set conversions       (for example from cp437 to iso-8859-1).
>
> > Problem in here is that most mail readers do not
> > support MIKE in that level that they can do character
            ^^^^ Shoul be: MIME
> > set conversions (except perhaps lynx :-)).
>
> > For example Elm, Elm ME+ (my patches) or Pine do
> > not support character set conversions.
>
> > Obviously then IE also do not able to do character
> > set conversions. Can you (Laura Eaves) send mail which
> > have these accent characters as examples.

What perhaps questioner wants is option

        Outgoing charset:       iso-8859-1

And that LYNX does conversion from

        display charset:        cp437

to that when sending mail (and also when sending
other data such as POSTed form data and so on.)

If I have understand correctly, lynx is currently
to able to do charset conversions to incoming data
but not for outgoing data.

/ Kari Hurtta