Re: lynx-dev Fwd: Lynx for Amiga

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Fwd: Lynx for Amiga
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 18:39:58 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Bela Lubkin wrote:
>Al Gilman forwarded:
>
>> >From: FrEdY <address@hidden>
>
>> >      Hi! I've compiled Lynx2.8.2dev7 and 2.8.2dev13 without problems
>> >   on my Amiga computer, so I think you could name 'Amiga' as a supported
>> >   platform in the homepage 'lynx.browser.org'. :)
>> >   AmigaOS is based on BSD, and no changes are neccesary to be made to
>> >   the sources.
>
>????  AmigaOS doesn't have the slightest relationship with BSD!  I
>believe there are NetBSD and probably OpenBSD ports for the Amiga, but
>those are not AmigaOS, which is based on Tripos, from some UK
>university.  Commodore also once shipped their own Unix port, which was
>SVR4.0-based.

But maybe the person means that (I am hypothesizing) the Amiga has headers
and libraries for standard UNIX functions, and can thus compile code,
apparently 'out of the box', with no changes??

While using "based on" is far too strong, from what I remember from Amiga-owning
housemates, the shell was pretty UNIX-y, so I could imagine my hypothesis above
may be true.