Re: lynx-dev Re: looking for space for lynx distribution

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: looking for space for lynx distribution
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 21:20:44 -0600 (CST)

[ not copied to list ]

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

>                                               ... To be perfectly
> frank, the whole use of the gettext() function as it is presently
> implemented makes me a bit queasy.

Henry,

 as a loosely related question:

I have made a German translation of the messages (de.po, certainly not
one that would be acceptable for final release as is) a couple of dev.'s
ago.  I haven't gotten around to do anything more about it, like
sending a release form to translation project, as I know myself maybe I
never will... I am wondering, did you do that paperwork stuff for your
Japanese translation; what would you recommend?

I haven't offered the de.po for inclusion in the dev.n packages since
it seems some people [you :)] are against making those unnecessarily
bigger [and I accept your concern], although it certainly would be more
useful than the included rudimentary de.po.
(In addition I'd first want to update it to the latest dev.n code.)

Maybe you have reported all this to lynx-dev while I was not looking, so
feel free to direct me to the archives in that case.
Most of the past discussions about what/if to include from the nls stuff
I didn't follow when it happened, because I hadn't really looked at how
gettext works at that point.  I should probably revisit those threads,
in that case maybe you have some starting points to suggest.  (only if
you have some references handy)

   Klaus