Re: lynx-dev Problem with ^Z suspending

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problem with ^Z suspending
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:29:47 -0800

David Woolley wrote:

> If Lynx is the last step in the shell script, you should be able to
> get round this by exec'ing it.  Otherwise using a shell alias or shell
> function may help (beware shells can create sub-shells in unexpected
> places).

Oooh...

This reminded me that the script I was testing with *does* exec Lynx as
its last act.  When I changed that, I was able to observe a minor
behavioral difference.  So this problem does exist on my system, but has
such small symptoms that I never noticed it.

Before I hit ^Z, Lynx is idle, displaying a page.  The bottom line shows
me the URL of the current link, and the cursor is in the rightmost
column of the screen:

  -more- http://vagabond:457/cgi-bin/man//man/html.S/catopen.S.html           _

When I hit ^Z, the shell prints a message, "[1] + Stopped      docsearch
catalog".

If this is a standalone Lynx (or was exec'd as the last command in a
shell script", the shell's message overwrites Lynx's bottom line -- as
if Lynx had issued a carriage return (\015) but no linefeed (\012):

  [1] + Stopped      docsearch catalogan//man/html.S/catopen.S.html

However, if the script is going to continue after Lynx finishes, I see:

  -more- http://vagabond:457/cgi-bin/man//man/html.S/catopen.S.html           [
  1] + Stopped      docsearch catalog

-- as if Lynx didn't issue that carriage return.

Again, seeing as Lynx has no SIGTSTP handler of its own, this must be a
behavior of the OpenServer libcurses that I'm linking against.  Tom can
fix it in ncurses; perhaps I can fix it in my curses as well...