lynx-dev On invitations and pressure

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: lynx-dev On invitations and pressure
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 01:39:13 -0500

[I do not know whether the lynx-dev list will let me post to it;
if not, Jim, could you please forward this message to the list?]

It is always a touchy subject to extend the invitation for an
independent project, such as Lynx, to join the GNU project.  No matter
how clearly I say that this is just opening up a possibility, some
people may respond to the invitation as if it were a demand.

But I was surprised by the vehemence of one message that was forwarded
to me, in which a person attempts to threaten the Lynx developers with
"having his code removed".  No one is entitled to bully you, and when
someone tries, I hope you will refuse to let that influence you.

Fortunately, he cannot legally remove the code he wrote, having
previously consented to your use of it.  So set your minds at ease.

The same message inaccurately states that the GNU Project is opposed
to "commercial software entities".  We do aim to replace proprietary
software with free software, but commercial and proprietary are not
the same thing.  (See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html
for the definitions.)  At a time when companies are increasingly
becoming involved in developing free software, it is good to encourage
them; so we should take pains to avoid giving people the idea that
commercial software cannot be free software.

Lynx is, and has been, an independent project.  If you, the Lynx
developers, prefer to continue that way, you have every right to do
so.  The invitation to join the alliance which is GNU is just an
invitation; if you say no, there will be no hard feelings from the GNU
Project.