Re: lynx-dev Re: looking for space for lynx distribution

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: looking for space for lynx distribution
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:26:26 +0000 (GMT)

> I've certainly never signed any release forms, which RMS seems to want
> when accepting code into *his* GNU projects, like gcc.

If we are talking of the employer's release, this is a requirement of
the GPL for any significant contribution to a GPLed programmed and is
a sensible requirement, as the employer would probably otherwise claim
to own the copyright.

It we are talking of a transfer of copyright ownership to FSF, I think
that's going to be impossible, because too many people own parts of the
copyright, but a formal transfer would require something to be signed
by everyone.

I think the current position is that Lynx's copyright would be difficult
to defend because so many parties own part of it.