Re: lynx-dev Problem with ^Z suspending

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problem with ^Z suspending
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:06:47 -0800

Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Bela Lubkin wrote:
>
> > This reminded me that the script I was testing with *does* exec Lynx as
> > its last act.  When I changed that, I was able to observe a minor
> > behavioral difference.  So this problem does exist on my system, but has
> > such small symptoms that I never noticed it.
>
> This is getting into the more cosmetic area (but it still should be
> fixed if possible), I have seen the same kinds of different behavior
> with other ncurses programs, for example "less" (I have it as PAGER,
> which causes man to start it as one of the child processes).  I also
> see this kind of thing with a slang compile of lynx.  What I haven't
> seen here with other programs than ncurses-lynx is the second, more
> severe aspect, that the process gets stopped twice.

I think the order-of-operations issue is significant for ncurses, at
least, even if it's mostly harmful *as expressed in Lynx*.

The getting-stopped-twice issue is exactly what I've seen for ages with
rn and then trn.  I originally saw it on an ISI 68020 system running
4.2BSD, some ancient version of rn, and csh.  I was still seeing it with
fairly recent (<2 years old) versions of trn, on OpenServer 5.0.0, with
ksh.  (I didn't run trn for a long time since then, and when I started
doing so again recently, I got rid of the controlling shell script I've
used for all these years, so I don't know if it's still there.)  Anyway,
I've never seen the stops-twice aspect with Lynx.  But it's clearly a
class of bug that can easily occur in job-control-aware programs.