Re: lynx-dev info pages

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev info pages
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:28:15 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, brian j. pardy wrote:
> > Perhaps using the CERN rules that Klaus just added support for?  I'm not
> > familiar with how they work, but can perhaps a filter be specified for
> > certain document types?
>
> No, you can just use them to either reject a URL or make lynx
> goto-another-URL-instead-of-this-one.

Ah.

> The whole HTStream mechanism in lynx is already a way to "plug in
> filters", but they have to be written in C and be compiled in.

Hmm.  This isn't a project for 2.8.2, and probably not even for 2.9, but
is there any way that an interface with some sort of dynamically
loadable module could be hacked in there?  That could be an area to
eventually plug-in Javascript if that ever happens, and who knows what
else.

> But I don't really understand what this thread is about.  Someone
> wants to convert something into anotherthing, but why should that be a
> task for Lynx?

The GNU 'info' viewer is abysmal at best, IMO, totally discounting my
feelings for GNU.  I've never liked hypertextual documentation (I do
much better for comprehension with a straight stream of info), but all
of the documentation on (for example) the GNU C library functions are
in info.

info2html should be enough, though.  But if an ly-info2html.o module
could be yanked in, that'd be neat.

--
<http://www.psnw.com/~posterkid/keys/> for DSA/ElG-E/RSA keys
DSA 0x0A641AA5:0B1E 37B7 ECCB FC96 B6C6  7242 0A59 F8D5 EFA9 4F81