Re: lynx-dev priorities (was 2.8rel.2)

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev priorities (was 2.8rel.2)
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:31:21 +0900 (JST)

> these days -- in G7 countries at least -- hardware is cheap.

I wasn't limiting my comments to G7 countries, but I was quite honestly
thinking of very depressed rural areas, like my own old home, where
unemployment never falls below about 25%, even in the summer months.

> anonymous users are mostly on freenets at libraries or colleges in
> well-heeled places like Vancouver & Phoenix,

? This comes across to me as an entirely unfounded statement.

> rejoinders to you: when did you last contribute a patch to solve a
> security problem presented by anonymous use of Lynx?

I am not a programmer, but I do aggressively test the anonymous use of
Lynx development code from the sysadmin's point of view.

Not a security problem per se, but a problem allowing for abuse of Lynx,
in Sept of 1998. BTW, I still use this method in favor of the similar
implementation in LYMail.c.

Klaus, if you've got a few spare minutes, I wonder if you'd mind
commenting or chiding me about the hack below to block reading in of
control codes when entering URLs.

     http://www.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp/lynxdev/hacks/xxunescape.gz

> why have you not replied to the original query?

I did, with a rhetorical question as to why the administrator was not
using the -anonymous switch.

> i try to see that users' queries all get some kind of reply,

This is very commendable. I think most of us also appreciate your
tenacity in getting bugs fixed (even though we may moan and groan at the
time :). My comments were directed solely to your seeming insistence on
putting the freenet user in the back seat. I really think there's enough
room for all of us to sit up front.

__Henry