Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download

From: Mykola Sereda
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:38:15 -0500 (EST)

> 990129 Mykola Sereda wrote:
> > The version of Lynx installed on my ISP server (Sun4, SunOS) is 2.7.1.
>
> first, 2-7-1 is  c 2 yrs  out-of-date: either ask your ISP to upgrade
> or (if you have shell access) you can compile the latest 2-8-1 yourself:

        On this front, we, the few Lynx and Unix interactive shell users
out of about 10 000 users of this ISP, may well try, but it's difficult.
Besides, I don't think this is the reason of the problem.

> get it from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release ; we want to help,

        To install it on my own account, I would need to rent more server
space (somebody else have done it, that's why I know).

> but in practice Lynx volunteers don't have time to support older versions.

        All right, but would you help our ISP tech support crew with the
latest version? They claim that it's terribly difficult and they don't
have time ...

> it does look as if your problem is out-of-date character support (below).

        Character support? It seems, in options, I have specified koi8-u
(which is inclusive, sort of a superset, of koi8-r) and I never have
problems with sites with whatever character sets they use (koi8 or 1251)
for that matter.

> > There is a problem with many sites in Ukraine (not all).
> > Instead of opening a www site, the Lynx presents: Download or Cancel.
>
> that's appropriate for eg an image file, but not for HTML.

        Exactly. But this is a site.

> > When saved, the http file looks like any other.
> > What follows, is a transcript of one such session:
> >
> > @cam % lynx http://www.vechirniykyiv.com/
>
> i repeated this using 2-8-1rel.1 & got the document without any problem:
> it's a newspaper -- the main articles listed are different today --
> with quasi-Russian text in Latin letters,

        This does not seem right. The letters should not be Latin, because
they are Cyrillic. If you see Latin letters, the 8-th bit does not pass
through at your site, probably, or elsewhere on the way. Of course, you
are at least getting through, while I can't.

>                                       which i can read sort-of
> -- i picture Ukrainian as like Glaswegian English (grin) -- ;
> i can read Russian, when i need to.

        The difference between Ukrainian and Russian is of the order of
difference between Dutch and German, or English and Dutch. Or between
French and Spanish.

> > Getting http://www.vechirniykyiv.com/
> > Lookup www.vechirniykyv.com                   <<== there are typos here
> > Making HTTP connto to www.vechirniykyiv.com.  <<== ditto
> > Sending HTP request.
> > HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
> > Read1023 bytes ofdta.
> >
> > HTTP/.1 200 OK
> > texthtml;charset=koi8-r  D)ownload, or C)ancel
>
> it looks like a problem with your charset options:

        As I said, it doesn't really look like you have a good guess.

> someone else may have more expert advice -- LP ? -- ,

        Give me a reference, please. And would you then forward my inquiry
right to the expert, please?

> but try changing things in the Options screen.
> however, you will need to get 2-8-1 first:
> 2-7-1 doesn't have anywhere near as much international character support.

        In the 2.7.1 options there was a possibility of specifying
character set, and I did specify.

--
    Mykola Sereda <address@hidden>
    (514) 351-9474