Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 09:05:01 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Mykola Sereda wrote:

>       On this front, we, the few Lynx and Unix interactive shell users out
> of about 10 000 users of this ISP, may well try, but it's difficult.

Yes, it is.

> Besides, I don't think this is the reason of the problem.

Yes, the version is part of the reason. I tried the Lynx version available
at CAM (2.7.1) and got the problem you reported. However, if you set
"display (C)haracter set" in the options menu to KOI8-R you should correctly
get that document. Try it.

> > get it from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release ; we want to help,
>
>       To install it on my own account, I would need to rent more server
> space (somebody else have done it, that's why I know).

It's me. I'm paying for more 5 Mbytes. However, lynx2.8.2.dev15 takes only
1.34 Mbytes of that space.

> > but in practice Lynx volunteers don't have time to support older versions.
>
>       All right, but would you help our ISP tech support crew with the
> latest version? They claim that it's terribly difficult and they don't
> have time ...

I've already offered to help them.

> > it does look as if your problem is out-of-date character support (below).
>
>       Character support? It seems, in options, I have specified koi8-u
> (which is inclusive, sort of a superset, of koi8-r)

In your terminal. The system and Lynx don't know which character set you're
using in your terminal.

> and I never have problems with sites with whatever character sets they use
> (koi8 or 1251) for that matter.

Probably because those other sites were not sending "Content-Type:
text/html; charset=koi8-r" like the one you mentioned.

> > i repeated this using 2-8-1rel.1 & got the document without any problem:
> > it's a newspaper -- the main articles listed are different today -- with
> > quasi-Russian text in Latin letters,
>
>       This does not seem right. The letters should not be Latin, because
> they are Cyrillic. If you see Latin letters, the 8-th bit does not pass
> through at your site, probably, or elsewhere on the way. Of course, you
> are at least getting through, while I can't.

Those using ISO 8859-1 in their terminals don't see Cyrillic characters,
they see ISO 8859-1 characters.

>       In the 2.7.1 options there was a possibility of specifying
> character set, and I did specify.

I don't know Russian or Ukranian but it seems that you should get it right.
When I set "display (C)haracter set" to KOI8-R I get the document displayed.

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden      |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.ismael.cordeiro.com/ |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |