Re: lynx-dev Re: how do I _use_ the EDITTEXTAREA?

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: how do I _use_ the EDITTEXTAREA?
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 21:27:56 -0800

On 30 Jan 99, %[23:2, Serge Munhoven <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 12:08:38PM -0800, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
>  >  On Sat, Jan 30, 1999, Larry W. Virden (address@hidden) said:
>  >  |
>  >  | > and nothing happens - the trace log shows no traces.
>  >  | Interestingly enough, within probably 10 minutes of sending this msg I
>  >  | figured out what I needed - I needed a ^V^VE to get things to work.  I
>  >  | didn't think earlier about the vact that the ^V is, to unix, a quoting
>  >  | character and so what I was getting was Unix treating E as a literal...
>  >
>  >  Heh.  Not quite a "unixism" though ... more of a "shellism".  FWIW, when
>  >  I'm talking directly to my shell's cmd line (tcsh), ^V does indeed act
>  >  like a quote for the next char, BUT when I'm in lynx (or any other
>  >  application, that behavior goes away, and a ^V is just a ^V).  Mayhaps
>  >  it's a termcap/terminfo/termsomething related artifact.
>  >
> Probably. I can confirm Larry's report from before the textarea edit
> capability. Switching the parsing mode always required a double ^V for me.
> (2.8.1pre.9 (shame on me ..., but no time yet), under Digital UNIX, with
> native
> curses). Was on my investigations list.

Just as a data point, Digital UNIX 4.0 w/ SLang has always
worked with a single ^V, for me (through dev13, building
current version tonight).

And as an aside, at least one application uses ^V as a quote
char - in vim it's used to insert a literal control
character.

--
Michael Warner          "You're cute when you're stupid"
<address@hidden>                                -- R.A. Miller