Re: lynx-dev Lynx on a network (unanswered query)

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx on a network (unanswered query)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:40:40 +73700 (MST)

In a recent note, address@hidden said:

> Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:49:23 +73900 (EST)
>
> > 990105 Mark Fowler wrote:
> > > I work for the New York State Office for Technology
> > > & have been using Lynx as reviewer of accessibility in NY web pages.
> > > Is there a way to set Lynx up to run off the network we have here
> > > instead of looking for a modem?  We have a proxy server behind a
> > > firewall,
> > > but I would think it would work just as well as our graphical browsers.
> >
> > no-one seems to have replied to this serious query,
> > which involves accessibility to the WWW among other things.
>
> I'm not sure how to respond to his query since it appears to apply to
> the dos environment with some sort of modem interface - I use lynx only
> via a network connection (or to local files)

I, also, saw this and wished to help.  At this point, the right thing
is to ask Mark Fowler for more details about his network configuration.
If Lynx goes "looking for a modem", it probably detects some SLIP/PPP
configuration.  But why do the graphical browsers not do the same?

Is it perhaps a matter of defining the proxy in lynx.cfg?  Lynx
doesn't use the Java autoproxy, so this might be the problem.

Also, a Lynx.trace log might be revealing, if Mark can capture and
save one from the "lynx -trace" command.

-- gil