Re: lynx-dev Lynx on a network (unanswered query)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx on a network (unanswered query)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 07:53:33 +0000 (GMT)

> > I work for the New York State Office for Technology
> > & have been using Lynx as reviewer of accessibility in NY web pages.
> > Is there a way to set Lynx up to run off the network we have here

I think the reason that questions like this don't get answered is that
at first sight the answer is that it should work out of the box, and in
addition they have failed to adequately describe the environment in which
they are operating.

That environment might well involve using the DOS port of Lynx under
Windows 3.1x, which tends to produce very complex TCP environments, which
really require help from a local expert.

> > instead of looking for a modem?  We have a proxy server behind a firewall,

Running Lynx with a modem is an *abnormal*++ configuration and normally a lot
more difficult to set up than to use a LAN.

> > but I would think it would work just as well as our graphical browsers.

The proxy may be a clue though.  Look in lynx.cfg for commented out examples
of how to configure for use of a proxy.  Unix versions also allow the use
of http_proxy environment variables to specify the proxy.  The syntax required
for the proxy is:

http://hostname-or-address:port-number/

++ It may be more common than I think; I effectively use it with a modem, but