Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 00:59:00 +0000 (GMT)

>         Summary of my opinion: the error is not related to the
> version number. The error is caused by MIME, or more precisely,
> the disorder that its implementation introduces in the transmission
> of 8 bit text files.

HTTP from 1.0 onwards has *always* been MIME based.  There is no excuse
like that which might apply to email for not correctly labelling
the content type;  in fact, most of HTTP is about correctly labelling
the content type.

However, I believe, *current* versions of Lynx do have some options for
dealing with material falsely labelled as being in the default (8859/1)
character set, at least when this is done by defaulting the character set.

As someone in a non-Latin1 country, you should be championing the correct
labelling of web material so that it can be correctly displayed throughout
the world.

It's only really Microsoft who think they know better than the content-type.