lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.2dev.15 - textarea editing

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.2dev.15 - textarea editing
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 05:27:22 -0800

On Thu, Jan 28, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:

| > we shouldn't use up too many scarce keys on this feature,
| > but we could presumably use control-keys with special meanings
| > which are confined to form fields, as  ^v  is already.
|
| Instead of "wasting" a key, this could be done by adding a special
| kind of link under the textarea, like internally generating the
| equivalent to <A HREF="lynxspecial:expand-textarea">Expand text area</A>.

True.  The disadvantage here though (for this particular application),
is that it would mean having to cursor/tab out of the TEXTAREA, hit on
the special "link", then cursor back to whee you just came from.  Very
keystroke busy.  I think a key binding makes more sense, in this case.

| The bigger problem is having to modify an already-finished HText
| document structure.  It is doable, but would be very tricky.

Heh!  More of a PITA, than "tricky", as this past few days of delving
into the mysteries of lynx's data struct's has taught me ... :-) ...!

| Easier under simplifying assumptions (like: there are no unexpected
| anchors on the line after which we want to insert more lines.)
| Would have to adjust all TextAnchors after that point.

Or the fact that the [tag]'ing code actually allows a [tag] to get [sp
lit] across a line boundary.  Grrrrr ...!

/kim