Re: lynx-dev heads-up: INSTALLATION.old / MAKEFILE.old broken?

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev heads-up: INSTALLATION.old / MAKEFILE.old broken?
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 15:24:07 -0800

der Mouse wrote:

> >> I see three alternatives: (1) I did something boneheaded; (2) the
> >> non-configure way is broken; (3) the non-configure way is no longer
> >> supported.
>
> > It's case(3) as far as unix goes.
>
> I was afraid of that.  Well, maybe configure won't make any mistakes
> that need correcting with blunt instruments...I can hope.
>
> > What doc files need fixing and where?
>
> lynx2-8/INSTALLATION:

> I. General configuration instructions (all ports).
> ...[steps 1 through 6]
> II. Compile instructions -- UNIX
> ...[steps 1a through 1e]
> 2. Manual compile
>     If auto-configure does not work for you, or you prefer to compile
>     Lynx manually, "docs/Makefile.old" will serve as a template for the
>     top-level Makefile, and instructions on how to compile are given in
>     "docs/INSTALLATION.old".

It's the same as anything in Lynx: it's as supported as any of the
developers care to bother with.  Anyone can be a developer; therefore,
it may still be supported, if someone who needs it to be supported fixes
problems.  That may mean that *you* must fix those problems.

In any case, you should not be beating your head against Lynx 2.8, which
was rather early in the autoconf development process.  The group is
currently working towards Lynx version 2.8.2.  Newest code can be found
at http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/.

autoconf is an ongoing thread of development.  That is, as new users
with different system configurations test the build, they find problems,
tell us about them, and we fix them (for autoconf, "we" is Tom Dickey
98% of the time).

I predict you will have an easier time getting 2.8.2dev.15 + autoconf
working, than any version to date + Makefile.old.