Re: lynx-dev 2.8.2dev.15 patch 1 - LYGetHostByname

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.2dev.15 patch 1 - LYGetHostByname
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 01:24:17 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > in /usr/include/netdb.h:
> >
> >   struct hostent
> >   {
> >     char *h_name;                   /* Official name of host.  */
> >     char **h_aliases;               /* Alias list.  */
> >     int h_addrtype;         /* Host address type.  */
> >     int h_length;                   /* Length of address.  */
> >     char **h_addr_list;             /* List of addresses from name server.
> > */
> >   #define   h_addr  h_addr_list[0]  /* Address, for backward compatibility.
> >  */
> >   };
> >
> > As far as I know that looks the same nearly everywhere, but are
> > there some systems (that Lynx has to care about) where the header
> > declaration is different?  Specifically, where some of the fields
> > are missing, or h_addr is not #defined the same way?
>
> We'll soon learn about compatibility...

I am looking forward to finally learning what that "for backward
compatibility" means...

> On SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.5, the patch builds fine except you need
> to declare extern int h_errno; -- or #include <resolv.h>.  Some
> configure stanzas would solve that (Tom?).

The variable isn't really essential, nothing uses it (also not in the
libwww5 code) but I added it for completeness.  If it turns out to be
a problem for configure to find the right file, just declaring it as int
should be ok.  (Or getting rid of it.)

> > +       /*
> > +       **  This allows us to abort immediately, not after 1-second
> > +       **  timeout, when user hits abort key.  Can't do this when
> > +       **  using SLANG (or at least I don't know how), so SLANG
> > +       **  users must live with up-to-1s timeout.  -BL
> > +       **
> > +       **  Whoops -- we need to make sure stdin is actually
> > +       **  selectable!  /dev/null isn't, on some systems, which
> > +       **  makes some useful Lynx invocations fail.  -BL
> > +       {
> > +           int kbd_fd = LYConsoleInputFD(TRUE);
>
> I had sent you (private mail) a version of this comment which was more
> in line with current reality...  The bit about SLang is no longer true,
> and the stuff about selectable is now meaningless (similar commentary
> should be in LYConsoleInputFD(), if anywhere).

Yes, I should have changed those comments.  Will do that in next patch
for this code.

   Klaus